Our Medically Monitored Detoxification allows patients to remove drugs and alcohol from their bodies in a safe and medically supervised environment. Detoxification is often the initial step in recovering from an addiction. In order to achieve success, patients must detox from their chosen drug in as safe and comfortable a process as possible.
Patients undergoing detox at Herndon Recovery Center receive compassionate care from our experienced detoxification specialists. All detoxifications at Herndon are monitored by our onsite psychiatrist, Satnam Atwal, M.D.
Detoxification programs vary, but typically include:
- A comprehensive psychiatric evaluation and medical history assessment
- Support from an experienced medical team trained in the physical and psychological aspects of detox and substance abuse
- Evaluation of necessary laboratory tests
- Administration of evidence-based medications that are designed to ease withdrawal symptoms and cravings
- Comfortable, home-like environment that helps patients feel warm, welcomes, and cared for
- An approach that considers all aspects of detoxification and addiction recovery, including mental, physical, and spiritual needs
What are the Symptoms of Withdrawal?
Withdrawal symptoms vary based on a variety of factors, including the drug or drugs that have been used, and the duration of the addiction. Symptoms of withdrawal can range from uncomfortable to life-threatening, which is why it’s so important to have medical oversight during the withdrawal period. Symptoms vary in intensity and can include:
- Intense cravings
- Convulsions or seizures
- Psychotic reactions
- Cardiac arrest
- Anxiety or depression
- Stomach pain or nausea
Medical detox differs from patient to patient, but usually takes about two to 10 days with less severe symptoms lingering for weeks or months after the initial detox. Undergoing detoxification in a safe and supportive environment increases the likelihood a patient will remain in treatment and have the physical and mental ability to begin work on recovery.